CherylMM

Untitled Downside Ghosts
Stacia Kane
Before Dark
Jonathan Lake
The Lies of Locke Lamora (The Gentleman Bastard, #1)
Scott Lynch
Mom of the Year
Denise Pischinger
Oracle's Legacy: Children of Sun (Book 1) - R.B. Holbrook I received a free copy of this book for my review. I really liked it. It intertwined the sci-fi elements with just the right amount of alternate reality without becoming too complex or needing a dictionary on the side. The main character Ollie is feisty, dangerous, mysterious and weirdly captivating all at the same time. Her complicated family ties and her need to separate her own and their identities from their real personas by creating nicknames for each person she has emotion for, is both psychologically interesting and fun to read. The world she lives in is controlled by seven houses (Sun, River...) and overseen by the Oracle. When everyone realises it is time for the next Oracle to be chosen, fighting and intrigue amongst the houses is the least of Ollie's worries, because she is smack bang in the middle of it all. The story reminded me of some of the action packed fantasy/supernatural books I read, which is probably why I liked it so much. The only thing I felt could have been done slightly better,was when the the reader gets to Ollie's big scene at the end (not going to say too much in case I reveal any details) the writer seems to get lost. It is only in the last chapter or so, but it seemed confusing and didn't gel with the rest, as if the writer was in a hurry to get to the closing few pages, because they held a big surprise. Other than that it was a great read, so much so that I have to buy the next because now I need to know what happens next. I highly recommend this author.