CherylMM

Untitled Downside Ghosts
Stacia Kane
Before Dark
Jonathan Lake
The Lies of Locke Lamora (The Gentleman Bastard, #1)
Scott Lynch
Mom of the Year
Denise Pischinger

Alex and Katija, High and Mighty (Alex and Katija, #1)

Alex and Katija, High and Mighty (Alex and Katija, #1) - Gordon Hooper A word to describe the content of this book. Hmmm warped and as dark as the deepest depths you can possibly fathom. It is both wrong and often weirdly funny all at the same time. I can just imagine someone reading this and having an absolute apoplectic fit about it. Why? Well the author skirts the boundaries of politically incorrect, morally corrupt and borderline criminal mindset.Hooper takes a swipe at it all. Women (oh, yes he really has a thing for women, lesbians (he might not want to visit any gay clubs anytime soon, if his identity becomes known), homosexuals, underage women, older women, Jamaicans and the Dutch police seem to hold a special place in his heart.Now the problem with dark humour is of course that it isn't always funny to everyone. The other problem would be that dark sarcastic humour is often perceived to be offensive and insulting.The jokes about females have a underlying streak of misogyny. The jokes about dark skinned women or Jamaicans may be perceived as racist.It really depends on the subjective reading experience of each individual reader.Aside from the sharp edged pen the author has, I think he didn't do himself any favours by dipping into so many pools at once. Too many ideas sprouting off into different directions made the story or stories seem disjointed and disconnected. It would have been far better to concentrate on one or two and then show consistency and duration in the plot.Overall I think the author has a good sense of humour, but is in danger of going too far in an attempt to keep the jokes flowing.As a last note I want to mention one of the phrases that the author used, which I know will annoy the heck out of many women, but might just amuse some of the more black-hearted amongst us. Referring to menstruation as 'special lady days' made me think back to my days as a teen when us girls used similar witty phrases to describe them.The book deserves three stars for being so outlandishly wrong, however I am willing to speculate that the author just has a really cynical, jaded and black sense of humour.I received a free copy of this book for my review.