CherylMM

Untitled Downside Ghosts
Stacia Kane
Before Dark
Jonathan Lake
The Lies of Locke Lamora (The Gentleman Bastard, #1)
Scott Lynch
Mom of the Year
Denise Pischinger
The Kingdom of Shadows - K.W. Jeter It was beautifully written and I really both enjoyed and liked it. It would be absolutely worth 5 stars except for one small detail. In all the intricacies of the story and the sometimes even painfully emotional scenes I think the writer got so caught up in the storyline, that as a reader there seemed to be no conclusion or point to the story. This is no way reflects upon how great I thought it was, but just to iterate. What is Martes' story about? The way men use beautiful women or perceive them only as a pretty physical shells? What is the point of the last scene in relation to the fate of the Lazarenes? Pavil spends the entire book wanting to meet Marte and when he does that also seems to have no bearing other than helping her towards the last scene. I thought the scenes that describe and depict the savage torture by so called medical professionals (Menegele ect.)before and during WW2 was brilliantly researched, so kudos to the author for that. That includes the descriptions of how the war brought the Germans to their feet and made each previously proud believer of the regimes policies into fugitives and then they become the victims of their own crimes. I am hoping there is a sequel or even a prequel that explains more closely what the Lazarenes are or were. I received a free copy of this book for my review.