CherylMM

Untitled Downside Ghosts
Stacia Kane
Before Dark
Jonathan Lake
The Lies of Locke Lamora (The Gentleman Bastard, #1)
Scott Lynch
Mom of the Year
Denise Pischinger
Unholy Magic (Downside Ghosts, #2) - Stacia Kane This is so gritty I can taste the reality in the back of my throat.The complete anti-heroine Chess is a breath of fresh air in the genre of Urban-Para with a taste of a dystopian world. Instead of the usual weapon toting beautiful Barbie with G.I. Jane attitude, the reader gets the emotionally reclusive drug addled church witch, who has the self-worth of a wet gnat.That grit makes this series so memorable and entertaining.Caught between two drug lords, two men and a job that could kill her, the main character fights to keep her head above water, her remaining sanity intact, whilst trying hard to keep the memories of her past at bay.The withdrawal scenes are so realistic that at times you want to scratch your burning body to ease the itch. To rip your flesh to release the one hundred ants marching just underneath the surface of your skin. The escalation in the fight or major skirmish scenes was too flighty and wasn't as hard-hitting as the rest of the scenes. We get to see a softer side to Terrible and we see Chess at her very worst. The author ends this book with a brilliant and heartwrenching twist in the plot and I can't wait to see what happens next.