CherylMM

Untitled Downside Ghosts
Stacia Kane
Before Dark
Jonathan Lake
The Lies of Locke Lamora (The Gentleman Bastard, #1)
Scott Lynch
Mom of the Year
Denise Pischinger
Magenta Opium - Sharon Baillie Unusual novella length tale with a hint of noir. One that you have to be fully alert for whilst reading it or you might miss a quip or two.Some of the references might be a little UK for readers who aren't acquainted with our local supermarkets, food or Brit oddities.The story is written like a running commentary with footnotes and comments in brackets. It also lacks paragraphs. The writing style is quite unique and it might be best to look at it with an open mind.I think the author was trying to, and has done so, create scenarios with the impression of a constant narrator, who is commenting, explaining and joking around while the story unfolds.I would liken it to watching a box fight, but instead of two athletes punching you have words, sarcastic quips and witty repertoires being whipped from one end of the ring to the other.The reader also has to stay on their toes when it comes to the info being thrown at them left, right and centre. What with the missing mother, the father with a strange preference and the main characters world of chemistry and plans for world domination.I received a free copy of this book for my review.