CherylMM

Untitled Downside Ghosts
Stacia Kane
Before Dark
Jonathan Lake
The Lies of Locke Lamora (The Gentleman Bastard, #1)
Scott Lynch
Mom of the Year
Denise Pischinger
Alone (The Girl in the Box, #1) - Robert J. Crane This is a completely new genre for Crane and I have to say that his venture from epic fantasy into the supernatural sci-fi world is very good. Not one iota reminds the reader of where the author has once trodden upon the paths of trolls and magicians. Often it is hard to leap from a genre one is comfortable in. Instead it is as if he was never anywhere other than in the mind of this meta human girl.A young hybrid with extraordinary skills and unknown dimensions of abilities yet to be discovered. She has been kept hidden away in a house, by her mother, for her entire existence. One day her mother doesn't return home and she is introduced to a world of unimaginable monsters and people who want to treat her like a guinea pig.The story is fast paced and gritty with a balanced proportion of sci-fi and supernatural, without the usual suspects one tends to finds in books of this genre. I found it engrossing, perhaps because the main character wasn't your typical little girl please feel sorry for me type. Instead she was tough with a smart alec attitude, but still managed to act with the carelessness of an inexperienced youth.I thought the end was brilliant, so much so that it made a shiver run down the back of my neck. I look forward to reading where the author will take that cliffhanger.I received a complimentary copy of this book for my review.