CherylMM

Untitled Downside Ghosts
Stacia Kane
Before Dark
Jonathan Lake
The Lies of Locke Lamora (The Gentleman Bastard, #1)
Scott Lynch
Mom of the Year
Denise Pischinger
Shifting Selves - Mia Marshall I think Marshall is a slowly rising 'author of interest' on the supernatural book horizon.The characters are solid, the story flows well and the plots have a subtle understatement. The author has a very witty sense of humour, which is evident in the seamless banter between the characters, especially Sera and Aidan.This is the second book in the series, which can be read as a stand-alone novel but I would recommend reading Broken Elements (Elements, Book 1) to understand who and what Aidan actually is.Internally Aidan is at battle with the legacy of her birthright. Two strong elemental powers pulling her in opposite directions. Can she be both at the same time or only one?The problem with that is the two can't be separated.Whilst I am thinking about it I just have to add that I really enjoyed the scorpion, frog and cat metaphor.Instead of having all the supernaturals automatically working together Marshall writes them in a way that shows a clear division between the different powers. The only thing they have in common is keeping everything secret from the humans.I don't want to reveal any details but suffice to say the ending was just right. It left enough room and unanswered questions for the next book without leaving the reader hanging on the edge of a cliff. I really want to see where Marshall takes this unexpected twist in the plot.I received a copy of this book via NetGalley.