CherylMM

Untitled Downside Ghosts
Stacia Kane
Before Dark
Jonathan Lake
The Lies of Locke Lamora (The Gentleman Bastard, #1)
Scott Lynch
Mom of the Year
Denise Pischinger
Shift Omnibus Edition (Silo, #2) (Wool, #6-8) - Hugh Howey Prequel to Wool or rather the events of Wool from the perspective of the people who planned and built the silos.Conceptually I understand why sci-fi fans enjoy the work of Hugh Howey. Post-apocalyptic with elements of quite a few sci-fi favourites. Howey manages to gather together the futuristic fears of the eternally paranoid and amplify those fears tenfold by creating a realistic scenario.I wasn't bowled over by the writing though.I found it very awkward, drawn out and it lacked the spark of a natural storyteller. Perhaps that will change in time as the author hones his craft. Alternatively it might just be a minimalistic noir like quality that the author becomes known for.There is less character development and description than in Wool. All the figures blend into one John Doe. Now in the setting of the silos I would be tempted to say that was done on purpose to accentuate that one is all and all are one in that setting,but I don't think Howey thought that far ahead.Even after both Wool and the Shift novellas I don't think all possible aspects or avenues of this concept have been explored to their full potential. Leaving aside the fact that the drawn out writing is in danger of being boring or repetitive at times, Howey makes up for that with the constantly flowing and changing concept.I received a copy of this book via NetGalley.