CherylMM

Untitled Downside Ghosts
Stacia Kane
Before Dark
Jonathan Lake
The Lies of Locke Lamora (The Gentleman Bastard, #1)
Scott Lynch
Mom of the Year
Denise Pischinger
The Girl with the Iron Touch - Kathryn Smith The combination of science, technology, robotics and the futuristic melding with a bit of transcendental Aether manipulation is what makes this book worth a second glance. Unfortunately that spark of brilliance by Cross is let down by her need to make everything a teenage angsty romance like read.In the middle of a rescue scene characters will suddenly halt and discuss their amorous intentions. Two if their comrades are missing and instead of looking for them Finley and Griffin decide to explore each other. Priorities need to be reevaluated big time.Talking about priorities I think Cross needs to concentrate more on the steampunk and less on the steam between the couples.ceFinley has this completely self-obsessed notion that everyone should fancy her and her man should be jealous of all other men, because according to her that is healthy and makes her feel good. Who thinks like that?One of the things that grated on me the most, like a cheese grater rubbing against my cells, was Jack. To be precise Jack of all trades and his unusual accent affliction. What on earth was the point of making him sound like Fagin from Oliver Twist, actually he sounded more like a London gangster from Lock, Stck and Two Smokin Barrels, despite the fact he really talks like a well-spoken gentleman? To make a clearer separation of class distinction between Jack and Griffin? .The whole set in the period after Jack the Ripper does not gel well with the futuristic technology or some of the statements made.Mila was the highlight of this book and I look forward to seeing where both the author and the technology will take her.Overall I enjoyed the book for the nuance of Steampunk creativity that Cross harbours within her tales, but think the author would be better off letting that creativity flow more and locking up the romance bot in nice shiny metal box.I received a free copy of this book via NetGalley.