CherylMM

Untitled Downside Ghosts
Stacia Kane
Before Dark
Jonathan Lake
The Lies of Locke Lamora (The Gentleman Bastard, #1)
Scott Lynch
Mom of the Year
Denise Pischinger
Twerp - Mark Goldblatt It gives off the same feeling as the well known 80s film Stand By Me, which is also a story about coming of age.This is a tale about reflection, guilt, emotional turmoil and the eternal confusion of youth.It has an easy comfortable flow and the reader slips easily into the mind and head of the young teenage boy.Julian has been given an assignment by his teacher. He is expected to write about an incident he took part in concerning a young boy with learning disabilities. Julian writes about everything except that event in an attempt to deny and deflect his own guilt and involvement.The chapter with the actual incident made my heart ache for boy in question, whilst I waited for Julian to do the right thing.The end product is a slow realisation that each person is responsible for their actions and you can either choose to acknowledge that fact or deflect onto others. In essence Julian comes to a fork in the road and he has to make a choice about which road he is going to travel upon from this point forward. The road of laying the blame elsewhere and not taking responsibility or owning his actions and decisions in life.Although the book features the bullying of a young boy I felt that the sub-plot was secondary to Julian actually acknowledging any wrongdoing on his part. Conceptually understanding what he did and in doing so being able and willing to make a choice.I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this as reading material to readers 9yrs and upwards. The book is suitable for older readers and adults also. In fact I think quite a few people who took the wrong path could garner a lesson from this book.I received a free copy via NetGalley.