CherylMM

Untitled Downside Ghosts
Stacia Kane
Before Dark
Jonathan Lake
The Lies of Locke Lamora (The Gentleman Bastard, #1)
Scott Lynch
Mom of the Year
Denise Pischinger
The Sword and the Throne  - Henry Venmore-Rowland Severus acts like the self-loving, treacherous, disloyal toad he is.Prone to bouts of temper tantrums, his loyalties towards country and family sway to and fro like a monkey from tree to tree.I certainly did not see the honourable, stable and brave person that others saw in this story.The amount of times he changes his mind about who he supports in the Roman game of Swap the Caesar, quite frankly he makes Judas look like a model citizen. Let's not even speak about the way he treats his wife.Kudos to the author for making me want to smack Severus right in his pretentious mouth.If a character can evoke any kind of emotional reaction from a reader then the author just might be doing their job right.Where is the Severus we met and enjoyed in The Last Caesar? Is this what power turns a man into or was he always like that at heart?At times I found the flow a little jumpy and although I enjoyed the story I felt it was written in a way that had the main characters emotions at the the forefront but with a lack of actual emotive pull.I received a free copy of this book via NetGalley.