CherylMM

Untitled Downside Ghosts
Stacia Kane
Before Dark
Jonathan Lake
The Lies of Locke Lamora (The Gentleman Bastard, #1)
Scott Lynch
Mom of the Year
Denise Pischinger
Under A Spell - Hannah Jayne If this your first Underworld D. Agency book I would suggest reading a previous one(Under Wraps: Underworld Detection Agency Series, Book 1). This can be read as a standalone book but some of the relationships are written in a way that presumes previous knowledge. Case in point would be Vlad and Kale. Their squabbling and interaction is described here and there with a few fractions of info, which doesn't really give any clear indication of why, when or what who did what to whom. So the reader has to fill in the gaps. The same goes for the attraction triangle a la Will-Sophie-Alex. Once again the reader doesn't really know why Alex is acting all huffy or why he insists on making annoyingly vague statements and flouncing off at every opportunity. In fact his flounces take priority over finding a missing teenager.The story started out slow and was a little disjointed here and there, but it picked up and was quite enjoyable.I think the author was trying a little too hard to keep it in the YA ball-park because the tone and behaviour of the characters swung like a pendulum. They switched from teen-tone to witty adult quips to squee moments and back again to sensible adults.Although I have to admit there were quite a few one-liners in there that made me chuckle.Overall I think the author needs to develop the main character more and have her actually take a few steps forward instead of treading the same path over and over again. Let her grow into the strong adult individual she can be instead of being the often obtuse and impulsive teen she acts like.I received a copy of this book via Netgalley.