CherylMM

Untitled Downside Ghosts
Stacia Kane
Before Dark
Jonathan Lake
The Lies of Locke Lamora (The Gentleman Bastard, #1)
Scott Lynch
Mom of the Year
Denise Pischinger
Clean Burn - Karen Sandler This author is usually known for her romance novels and often when authors hop-skip genres they can't separate them.I am very pleased to say that Sandler has hop-skipped with great skill and precision into the crime/thriller genre without skewing the lines.This story is dark, compelling and gritty. It is realistic and disturbing.It broaches upon many painful topics like child abduction, child abuse and paedophilia. The subject matter has obviously been well researched and gives a disturbing insight into some of the aspects of organised child abduction rings.It also sheds light on the so-called low level risk children that disappear each year but because they are low level nobody realises they are missing. That dark and unknown number of children is never counted with the already horrifically high numbers of children who go missing. The author has managed to deliver the message without the use of gratuitous violence or scenes.The main character is flawed aka human. She isn't a machete swinging ninja expert with the body of a goddess and the looks of an angel.She is a walking billboard for the fractured and abused. Unfortunately she also has a penchant for fire. It just happens to be her addiction, her obsession and her sick safety blanket.This was a gripping and enjoyable read and I look forward to reading the next in the series.I received a copy of this book via Netgalley.