CherylMM

Untitled Downside Ghosts
Stacia Kane
Before Dark
Jonathan Lake
The Lies of Locke Lamora (The Gentleman Bastard, #1)
Scott Lynch
Mom of the Year
Denise Pischinger
The Watchers - Jon Steele This was a difficult one to review.The opening scene was superb.The first half was disjointed and confusing at times. Switching from one character to the next with no apparent connection to any of their stories. Wandering from the present day Rochat to the past and back again.Based on the opening scene I thought the plot was about some audacious supernatural race saving or fetching souls of the dead, so I was slightly confused when it turned into a modern version of Quasimodo and Esmeralda.At the halfway mark the reader finally gets some indication of what it is all about and how the three main characters are connected. So after slothing along for half a book things then speed up. Quasimodo, sorry Rochat the bellwhisperer, is suddenly confronted with the Nephilim. So the story morphs into a nefarious plot executed by fallen angels, who happen to act like the notorious Illuminati.Sometimes authors try to outsmart both themselves and their readers. They try to create and introduce pseudo literary works of art instead of just telling a good story.In this case I was disappointed because the writing is good. The descriptive scenes of Rochat and the bells are so intensely real you can almost hear him speaking to them.Overall I would suggest less procrastination and more clarity.I received a copy of this book via Netgalley.