CherylMM

Untitled Downside Ghosts
Stacia Kane
Before Dark
Jonathan Lake
The Lies of Locke Lamora (The Gentleman Bastard, #1)
Scott Lynch
Mom of the Year
Denise Pischinger

Bitter Disenchantment: A Coveted Novella

Bitter Disenchantment - Shawntelle Madison The author decided to break some of the most well known rules about shifters specifically wolves. Straying from the party line in fiction isn't a bad thing but I think it was to the detriment of this plot. Making jigsaw puzzle pieces fit by biting off a bit just to keep the story flowing made the sub-plots less enjoyable.The main character is an overprivileged shifter with an eating disorder and the will of a wet blanky. She is a supposed alpha female but does nothing but bow down and follow orders given to her by males.That brings me to the alpha males in the story.Let's just say they would be easily recognisable walking down the street toting their 'We are misogynistic tossers, yield to our global power' T-shirts. Not a charming hero amongst the lot of them.If that wasn't enough the main character Aggie shows her selfish and thoughtless side when it comes to her friends. Who needs enemies with friends like Aggie.It felt as if the author was skating close to the new fad of abusive men are the new pseudo hero/bad guy and are attractive to women,which seems to be very en vogue in the popular YA and NA books right now.I think the inconsistencies in the shifter world might irritate some readers.I do think there is potential, but to be a really good supernatural story the author needs to delve deeper into pack laws and skate a little less frequently on the men are sexy when they treat women like doormats scenarios.I received a copy of this book via NetGalley.